Saturday, September 4, 2010

Most Consistent 9 Holes Ever

This week I shot the most consistent 9 holes of my golfing career which consisted of a 41 on the front 9 at Lakewood.  I once shot a lower score (39) on the back 9 at Wildwood but that round consisted of a hole-in-one and eagle.  That round included a lost ball on hole 10 and some unmemorable shots along with the two or three memorable ones.
At Lakewood I birdied one hole and double bogeyed one.  All the others were pars or bogeys.  So, the round was pretty consistent.  In every round I have played before I have always had at least one meltdown hole that resulted in a triple bogey or worse.  There was always a hole where nothing worked; shanked drives, flubbed fairway shots, topped chips, and the inevitable botched puts.  This past week I had bad shots but didn't string two or three together.

What was the secret?  I got over my urge to kill the ball.  For years I have tried putting everything into my drives to get an extra 10 or 20 yards.  Sometimes it worked but for the most part I ended up with a wicked slice that left me with a difficult second shot at best and a lost or unplayable ball at worst.  For most of this round I tried just easy 3/4 swings and surprisingly I didn't lose much distance.  I did make a much higher percentage of shots.  Also, for the last couple of weeks I have gone out to the driving range; not with the vain attempt to solve all my woes before I went out on the course but just to determine what was working on that day.  My irons seemed good so I just tried to get my drives in play.

There's always one shot that keeps you coming back and that was my second shot on 18.  I had an uphill lie at just over 100 yards.  Normally I would use a 9 iron.  However, with the uphill lie I used a 7. The ball arced beautifully, landed on the green, and rolled about 12 feet past the hole.  I sank the put and ended the round with a birdie. I'm itching to get back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment